- Chicken large curry cut pieces with bones- 750 gms
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Whisked Curd/Yogurt- 3 tbsp
- Onion-Red Chilli Paste:
- Onion quartered- 2 medium (150 gms)
- Dried Red Chillies- 8
- Saunf Fennel seeds- 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder- 1 tsp
- Tomato Purée- 2 tbsp
- Saffron- 2 pinches soaked in warm water
- Fried Cashews halved- 15 nos.
- Fried Raisins- 15 nos.
- Refined Oil- 4-5 tbsp
- Marinate the Chicken pieces with the items specified. Set aside for 30 mins.
- Soak 2 pinches of saffron in warm water.
- Dry roast the fennel seeds and dried red chillies in a pan on low heat for 2-3 mins. Set aside to cool. Peel and quarter the onions.
- Use ready made tomato purée and if not available, blend 1 big red tomato into a purée.
- To make the Onion-Red Chilli paste, add the roasted fennel seeds and red chillies in a blender/grinder and grind to a coarse powder. Now add the quartered onions and blend into a smooth paste. You can add a tablespoon of water if required.
- Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in oil one after another, take out and keep in a plate for use later.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan and add the Onion-Red Chilli paste. Fry for 3-4 mins on medium heat till oil separates. The colour of the paste should not become dark.
- Now add the marinated chicken and fry on high heat for 3-4 mins.
- Lower heat and cook on low heat for around 3-4 mins till the curd/yogurt is cooked, oil separates and there’s a red tinge in the curry.
- Add the Coriander, Kashmiri Chilli and Garam Masala Powders, mix and cook on low heat for 3-4 mins.
- Now add the tomato purée, mix and cook on low heat for around 2 mins.
- Now add 150 ml water, give a mix and cover & cook on low heat for 15 mins till chicken is tender.
- Remove lid, give a mix and add 2 tbsp of saffron water. Let it simmer for around 2 mins.
- Garnish with the fried cashews and raisins. Give a mix and serve.