Punjabi Chicken Curry is a classic Punjabi dish vibrant with rich and flavourful gravy. The heartwarming spice mix from the land of Punjab makes this a very exotic dish.
Pair this delicious dish with a naan, roti or rice. This Punjabi favorite is easy to make and sure to impress your guests.
Punjabi Chicken Curry Recipe
- 500 gms Chicken (curry cut with bones)
- 1/2 cup Curd (Yogurt, whisked)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
For the Paste:
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 4 nos Green Cardamom
- 3 nos Cloves
- 1/2" pc Cinnamon
- 1 no Black Cardamom
- 1 no Bay Leaf
- 2 medium Onions (sliced)
- 1" pc Ginger (chopped)
- 5 nos Garlic (cloves)
- 1½ tbsp Refined Oil
- 1 cup Tomato Purée (purée of 2 fresh tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi (Roasted and Crushed)
- 1/4 tsp Amchur Powder (Dry Mango Powder)
- 3-4 tbsp Refined Oil
- Marinate the chicken pieces with turmeric powder, curd/yogurt & salt as specified. Set aside for 30 mins.
- To make the paste, heat oil in a pan & add all the whole spices as specified above, sliced onions, ginger & garlic. Mix well & fry it on medium heat for 4-5 mins till the onions are soft & start changing colour. Remove and cool. Grind it into a coarse paste first, then add 3 tbsp of water & blend it into a smooth paste.
- Make a purée of 2 medium sized tomatoes. Alternatively use readymade tomato purée.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan & add the blended paste.
- Sauté & stir on medium heat for around 4 mins till the mixture is fried & oil separates. Make sure the colour doesn’t become brown.
- Now add the tomato purée and sauté for around 2 mins till oil separates.
- Add the Red Chilli powder, Coriander and Cumin powder, mix well and sauté on medium to low heat for around 5 mins till oil separates. You can add a splash of water and continue sautéing if the masala tends to stick to the pan.
- Now add the marinated chicken and fry & stir it on high heat for around 3 mins.
- Continue to bhunno(sauté) on medium heat for another 10 mins.
- Mix it well, lower heat to minimum and cover & cook for 5 mins.
- Remove lid, add garam masala powder, give a stir and then add 250 ml water and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Mix it well and cover & cook on low heat for 15 mins.
- Now add the fenugreek leaves & amchur powder. Mix it and simmer for 3-4 mins.