Masala Fried Fish Curry
- Fish pieces around 6-7- 500gms (Rohu, Katla or Asian Carp)
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste- 1 tsp
- Lemon juice- 2 tsp
For Masala Paste:
- Cumin Seeds- 1.5 tsp
- Coriander Seeds- 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri Red Chillies- 4 nos.
- Ginger chopped- 1” piece
- Garlic cloves- 8
- Fresh Coconut grated- 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves- 15-20 leaves
- Garam Masala Powder- 3/4 tsp
- Tamarind Pulp- 3 tbsp
- Thick Coconut Milk- 4 tbsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Refined Oil- 3 tbsp + 2 tbsp for shallow frying
- Marinate the fish pieces with items indicated & set aside for 20-30 mins
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the fish pieces on both sides till golden.
- Fry for 2 mins on medium heat on both sides and then on low heat for 1 min on each side. Remove on to a plate.
- To make the Masala Paste, first dry roast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and Kashmiri red chillies in a pan on low heat for 2-3 mins. Set aside and allow it to cool. Now transfer it to a grinder/ blender and add the chopped ginger, garlic cloves and grated fresh coconut.
- Grind it into a coarse powder first and then blend it into a paste after adding 1/2 cup of water.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai or pan and add the curry leaves. Give a stir and then add the blended masala paste. Sauté on medium heat for 3 mins and then on low heat for 5-6 mins till the paste is fried.
- Now add the garam masala powder and 2 tbsp water and fry on low heat for 2-3 mins.
- Add tamarind pulp and 200 ml water and simmer for around 2 mins.
- Add the fried fish pieces , give a stir and cover & cook on low heat for around 10 mins.
- Open the cover and add the thick coconut milk. Give a mix and simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Serve with rice.