This Masala Fish Curry is made with a unique blend of dry spices that are roasted and ground to a masala paste. The fish curry is cooked in gravy made up of the masala paste and simmered in coconut milk. A hint of tamarind juice adds the tanginess to the curry.
This lip-smacking fish curry can be served with hot white rice.
Masala Fish Curry
- Fish Rohu, Katla, Asian Carp – 500 gms
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- 3/4 tsp
For Masala Paste:
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Dried Red Chillies- 2
- Garlic- 10 cloves
- Green Chillies- 2-3 cut into 2
- Red Chilli Powder- 1.5 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Onion grated- 2 medium (around 130 gms)
- Kasuri Methi dried Fenugreek leaves- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 15-20
- Tamarind soaked in water- 4 tbsp juice
- Thick coconut milk- 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves for garnishing- 2 tbsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp + oil for pan frying the fish pieces
- Clean, wash and pat dry the fish pieces. Add the turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and mix well. Set aside for 30 mins.
- To prepare the Masala paste, take a pan and dry roast the red chillies and cumin seeds on low heat for 1 minute. Now add the garlic cloves and continue roasting on low heat for another 2 mins. Set aside to cool. Add them to blender/grinder along with the green chillies. Coarse grind.
- Now add 3-4 tbsp of water and blend it into a smooth paste. The masala paste should have thin consistency so you can add more water to make into a thin consistency.
- To pan fry the marinated fish, add oil to a frying pan and place the fish pieces side by side.
- Fry on medium heat for 2 mins and turn it on the other side. Continue to fry on medium heat for 2 mins. Take these out on a plate.
- Heat oil in a flat pan or kadai.
- Add the grated onions and fry on medium heat for 7-8 mins till light brown in colour.
- Now add the masala paste and give a mix, add 1/2 tsp salt to it and continue to fry on medium heat for 3 mins till water dries up and oil separates.
- Add the dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi) and fry 1 min on medium heat. Add the curry leaves and fry on low to medium heat for 2 mins.
- Now add the tamarind juice, give a mix and then add 250 ml water. Cook it on medium heat till it comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat and place the fried fish pieces side by side and cover & cook on low heat for 5 mins.
- Remove lid and flip the fish pieces. Add the thick coconut milk, give a mix.
- Cover & cook for another 10 mins on low heat till oil separates.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander leaves, mix and simmer for a minute.
- Serve with rice.