In this Indo-Chinese version of the chicken lollipops, the chicken winglets are shaped into lollipops and then fried. For the drums of heaven these fried lollipops are tossed in a mix of schezwan sauce and tomato ketchup.
The succulent chicken lollipops glazed with the tangy sauce make this an irresistible starter for any meal.
Drums of Heaven
- Chicken Winglets around 10-12 pcs – 500 gms. (Cut the meat from bone and push down to create a lollipop shape)
- 1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1.5 tsp White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Cornflour
- 3 tbsp All purpose flour (Maida)
- 1 no. Egg
- 1.5 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt (pinch)
- 1 tbsp Ginger fine chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic fine chopped
- 3 tbsp Onion fine chopped
- 2 tbsp Spring onion greens chopped
- 3 tbsp Schezwan Sauce
- 1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- Corn flour slurry (3/4 tsp cornflour mixed in 4 tbsp water)
- Clean the chicken winglets, wash and shape them into lollipops.
- Marinate the lollipops with the 1st marinade items. Mix well and set aside for 30 mins.
- Now add all the 2nd marinade items, mix well and set aside.
- Fine chop the ginger, garlic, onion and chop the spring onion greens.
- Heat oil in a pan or skillet for deep frying the lollipops.
- Drop the battered lollipops one by one in hot oil, to not crowd the oil. Do not move for 2 mins and then keep stirring to give a uniform golden brown colour. Keep frying for another 4-5 mins till the chicken is cooked and fried golden.
- Remove onto a plate and repeat the same with the balance.
- These fried lollipops can also be eaten at this stage.
For making Drums of Heaven:
- Heat oil in a wok and add the chopped ginger and garlic. Give a stir for 15 secs and then add the chopped onions. Sauté on high heat for a minute till the onions are soft.
- Now add the Schezwan Sauce, give a mix and then add the soy sauce. Again give a mix and add the tomato ketchup.
- Add the sugar and vinegar, give a mix and sauté on medium heat for a minute till the sauce is smooth and everything is mixed well.
- Add the corn slurry and keep cooking it for another 30 secs till the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Lastly add the lollipops fried earlier and stir fry it for a minute with the sauce to coat it well. Garnish with chopped spring onion greens, give a mix and serve hot.