Achari Chicken Recipe
- 500 gms Chicken (curry cut pieces with bones)
For the Masala Powder:
- 1 tsp Kalonji (Nigella seeds)
- 1/2 tsp Saunf (Fennel seeds)
- 1/4 tsp Methi Seeds (Fenugreek seeds)
- 2 nos Dry Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 4 tbsp Curd ( or Yogurt, whisked -around 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 medium Onions (chopped )
- 2 medium Tomatoes (chopped )
- 3 nos Green Chillies (cut in 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Ginger (juliennes/ thin slices)
- 3-4 tbsp Refined oil
- Take a pan and dry roast the spices for the Masala powder on low heat for 3 mins. Take it out on a plate to cool and then grind it to a powder.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with the ingredients for marination and the Masala powder made earlier. Mix and set aside for 60 mins.
- Chop the onions and the tomatoes, cut the green chillies into half inch pieces and the ginger into juliennes.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or pan, add the mustard seeds and when it splutters, add the pieces of green chillies. Give a stir and add the chopped onions. Fry on medium heat for 8 mins till slightly brown.
- Now add the chopped tomato, cook on medium heat for 2 mins and add 1/4 tsp salt. Continue to cook on medium heat for another 5 mins till the tomatoes are soft & oil separates.
- Add the marinated chicken, mix well and bhunno/fry on medium heat for 5 mins.
- Now add the Kashmiri Chilli Powder, mix well & fry on medium heat for 3 mins. Reduce the heat to low and continue to fry for another 2 mins till oil separates.
- Add 150 ml water, mix and cover & cook on low heat for 15 mins.
- Remove lid, mix in the ginger juliennes and simmer for around 2 mins till oil separates.
- Serve with rice or roti